Now that your warehouse has been created and your Kahi fixed gateways have been installed and provisioned, you will need to prepare beacons, install them to your inventory, and provision them with the Kahi Mobile app (available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store).
PLEASE ensure that batteries are inserted correctly. The "+" side of the battery needs to touch the "+" side of the metal battery casing
- TIP: As the battery is pushed in, you can (in low light) see a blue light flash briefly underneath the install panel of the asset. Look at the edge as you slide the battery in - it will be brief, but will indicate the battery/beacon is good to go!
- Asset beacons (threaded lids)
- CR2477 Lithium Batteries (1 per beacon)
- Sheet(s) of 3M friction pads (to be affixed on the inside base of the beacon)
- Screws (2 per beacon to attach to asset)
Step 1: Preparation (Battery & Friction Pad)
Before you provision a beacon, prepare by installing a battery. Start by unthreading the beacon cap and inserting the battery with the Plus ‘+’ sign facing up. Press down on the sleeve to ensure good contact. Thread the cap back on.
With the cap off, now is the time to affix the 3M friction pad to the inside of the base of the beacon. This will help ensure consistent contact from within the beacon itself, keeping things nice and tight.
Step 2: Installation
Now that the beacon has been prepared, it is time to physically install it to an asset. Each asset in your inventory should have one beacon installed.
Install your beacon in a spot that is preferably protected to avoid getting damaged by impact.
- Review our Google Drive link here for images of optimal beacon placements.
Use screws provided to install the beacon to your asset.
Step 3: Provisioning
Now that the beacon has been installed, the asset needs to be provisioned using the Kahi Mobile App. Recently, we’ve greatly improved how your team will provision Kahi beacons to your assets.
Using OCR (optical character recognition) technology, provisioning beacons to assets is now one step easier.
- Download the new and improved Kahi Configuration app and login (You will need to ensure you have the updated version - v4.1.4 or greater. Tap the 'hamburger menu' icon in the upper right of the mobile app, and check the version code just above the "logout" button).
- After physically affixing the beacon to your asset, select the "QR scanner" option from the upper right menu and scan the QR code on the beacon face.
- The screen will then change and ask you to "Capture ID Plate". Take 1 clear photograph of the manufacturer's ID plate (please - no ‘self-made’ ID plates). Hit "Use Photo" or retake if needed. Some guidelines to follow:
- Ensure there are no shadows or bright lights obscuring the photo plate;
- Take the picture as straight-on as possible;
- Check to ensure the picture is legible (if you can’t read it, the technology can’t read it!)
- Crop out unnecessary labels or stickers if you can, to prevent the OCR technology from reading things that aren't necessary for product identification (Safety labels etc)
- Verify that the information captured is accurate. Submit.
- That’s it. Really.
Note: You can add additional photos of the asset if you wish, but it is not necessary. Scroll to the bottom of the 'asset details', and tap the camera icon if you want to take more.
If the manufacturer and model are not found in our system, leave the asset as “unidentified”. Our team will review these from the backend, and fix them up. Those assets that we are unable to update from the backend will be flagged in an "unidentified" alert tile. You can review these manually and update them from within your Kahi account.
- TIP: Before you begin provisioning your assets, send firstname.lastname@example.org an inventory list of the manufacturers and models of equipment you use. We can ensure the manufacturer/model types are in our database prior, mitigating any “unidentified” assets.
- If the system isn’t able to identify the manufacturer and model by the photo, even though they are in our system, you can manually select and update those fields.
- If an asset isn’t found or the ID plate cannot be read, leave it as “unidentified”. Our team will review these from the backend, and fix them up. What we can't fix up will be added to your "Unidentified Assets" alert, and will need manual intervention to update.
- If you have equipment that does not have an ID plate (like garbage cans, flashlights) that you are tracking as well, there is a set of categories to choose from to add them manually.
Complete these steps for all assets in your inventory.
As the beacon needs to be online, provisioning a beacon to an asset needs to be done at the warehouse at this time. We plan to add a feature for remote provisioning in the future.
Want to add assets to your inventory WITHOUT a beacon? You can do so by following the directions here.